Thursday, June 17, 2010

Innocence


Today I took my daughter to play area when I met a tamil family there. The mother was busy talking in phone and her two kids were playing in the play area. The younger one should be around 3 years while the elder must be around 6 to 7 years. The thing is now a days kids are becoming matured in a faster pace. The innocence which is there in kids are no longer there. Actually in movies if you watch, kids will be talking and planning like my god as if they are too old. That maturity in the way they talk seems too much for their age and it actually lacks any beauty. I thought its only in movies but even in reality its like that. They have more exposure and get to learn things fast but in the end the beauty of the innocence is lost.
In Tamil there is a scholar and poet thiruvalluvar. In his thirukkural he has said"Kuzhal inidhu yaazh inidu enbar tham makkal mazhai sol keladhavar"
which means people those who hasnt heard their babies voice will keep telling that the divinity is in musical insturments like flute or veena. But see the kids at this age.They already know before 2 years on how to dominate people, whom to dominate, how to get things done and the way they handle gadgets even I cannot. My daughter the minute my husband comes home she will tell, Dad give me your i-phone and she will start playing games for sometime. One way it looks nice to see her doing all this because yeah its a competitive world and the sooner you learn the better you are. But how long these kids will hold their innocence. There definitely is a beauty in that.
Whenever I go to play area and see the kids playing the way they talk in a way amused me but again makes me feel a bit sad too. I feel they miss the way we enjoyed our childhood. How many times we would have passed a toy shop longing for a toy and then getting it after requesting our parents for long time and when we get it the happiness would last for a long time. The way we wait for our cousins , for summer holidays, to go to park there were happiness in so many simple things. But now a days even before our kids ask for it we are giving them all they need at times more than what they need that I dont know if they will learn to appreciate what they have. How does it sound when a 5 year or 6 year kid yells at their parents or talk about things which are just beyond their age. It doesnt really look or feel nice.
Now coming back again to the kid I saw, as I was telling these kids were all too matured in the way they talk and act. But this girl came and told me, Aunty my sister dont know english. And then I started talking to her in Tamil. She wanted to play hide and seek and was explaining the game to me.She has just reached singapore and is basically from a village. The way she explained the game and how she used to play in India in her home town, it was so nice. I could sense the innocence in her voice the beauty of being a kid the joy of ignorance, there is a saying right Ignorance is bliss. It was so touching. I just loved it. There I see my daughter just 2 and half years old playing and telling rules to the other kid. I jsut pray that let her innocence stay for a little longer time so that she is not touched by the cruelties and competitoins of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment