Monday, January 11, 2010

My lost Possession



What is life without some sentiments. Well I know at times it sounds so weird and stupid, but somehow I just couldnt change.
I have lots and lots of small sentiments..harmless to anyone..and the happiness you get out of it is wow priceless.


Be it the exam or be it a interview, be it a special day in the calendar, or be it a day you
want to make special, be it a card given by your best friend or be it even a choclate paper..everything mattered. I had bags and bags of such cards and papers and even gift wrappers. After marriage when we shifted I lost them all. Even now I keep them...
Meeting people close to heart on some important days in another sentiment..:)
Like friendship day or new year or your birthday I believe that if you happen to meet those on those days then the whole of year you will be together.
Anyways this is not about my favorite sentiments...Because right now am feeling sad about something I had lost.

Somehow in our home my parents are not used to give surprise gifts to me and my sis. After I started going to college and started earning part time, I started that culture. Giving surprise gifts to my mom, dad and sis. And on my birthdays I just love to surprise them with gifts. Wow the smile you get to see is just priceless and the happiness you get when you see that smile is...just wow!!! So I am not used to getting gifts from my parents. And the first time I got a gift from them is on my marriage. Actually in our custom, after marriage as a gift parents will gift their daughter a steel cupboard with a locker. It is supposed to bring wealth and you should keep it always.

After the expenses of my marriage I know how difficult it is for them to buy it and since my birthday was immediately after marriage my mom had brought it and gifted it.
Well, by that time steel cupboard with a mirror was out of fashion but who cares..what mattered was the love behind it. When I used to stand in front of the mirror in the cupboard, It used to be like the Harry potters mirror in room of requirement...;)


After some days we moved to Banglore and I did make sure it was safely delivered to Banglore without a crack. Then we moved to Hyderabad and I took it there also. Finally we shited to Singapore, I couldnt bring it there but left it in hyderabad. The cupboard was filled with all my silk sarees i had got in my wedding, my photo albums and all the me stuff. Every time I go to India, that became my storage space.

And then last year when we were thinking of renovating the house, the topic that came is to sell all old stuffs and buy new ones. The first target was my steel cupboard...oops..I literally cried..and told a BIG NO..Everyone said Grow up..it looks so out of place..well the same thing was said about one of the thali am wearing it was bit too big and now a days no one wears it..But who cares..it was given by my mom. And the same applied to the cupboard. So I told a big no to my dearest hubby and my in laws.
Couple of times we had a discussion where I would finally finish it with NO. May be it is stupid sentiment..but somehow I wanted to keep it forever and ever as a keepsake.

Finally last decemeber when I went to India for vacation oops the steel cupboard was not there..I thought since we dont have much space may be they kept in a store room. so I didnt ask anyone about it because I dont wanted to be upset when we have lots of function. Finally I asked my mom in law that I have to take some wedding sarees and where is the steel cupboard...and she told that is all not there..some of the sarees from it she had kept it other wooden cupboard..

Oops..I had lost it..My prized possession what my mom gave along with it there were other cards and gifts and stuff which was inside it..which would look as a garbage for anyone other than me...Am not able to continue writing as already tears are blocking my eyes..
I would may be ask my mom to gift me another one..

Is it worth having such sentiments?

No comments:

Post a Comment