Friday, May 11, 2012

What Else Will Oedipus Wreck?

I suppose you've all seen the upcoming Time magazine cover and perhaps one or more of the clever parodies going around (my favorite is Limbaugh's)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
But this is certainly no new phenomenon. I remember some years back, I guess ten or more, where National Geographic did a story on it. I remember seeing a very odd photo of a woman driving a tractor, with her son, 7-10 years old, if I recall, draped across her lap, breast feeding.

And while I am definitely in the camp encouraging women to breast feed their infants, and while I would never try to establish a hard and fast rule by when the child should be weaned, I suspect that when he's old enough to walk over to you and undo your blouse, it's probably time! (Pun intended.)

In order to avoid massive amounts of therapy, I suggest that momma show the lad these pictures when he is a little older, before his classmates get a chance to see them. If you thought the "birds and bees" talk was hard, how do you begin the "Mommy's picture breast feeding you is all over the Internet" speech?

No comments:

Post a Comment